Margherita Pizza Beans - by Ali Slagle of bon appetit
- 4 SERVINGS
- 1 lb. large ripe tomatoes
- 2 15-oz. cans white beans (such as cannellini or butter), rinsed
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 pints cherry or Sun Gold tomatoes (about 1¼ lb.)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ¼ cup torn basil leaves, stems reserved, plus more for serving
- 6 oz. fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. finely grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- Toasted country-style bread (for serving)
Heat broiler. Halve large tomatoes crosswise (through the equator). Starting with cut sides, grate tomatoes on the large holes of a box grater into a medium bowl; discard or compost skins. Add beans and season generously with salt and pepper.
Heat 3 Tbsp. oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high. Add cherry tomatoes; cook, shaking pan occasionally, until browned in spots, about 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Stir in grated tomato mixture and reserved basil stems. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thickened and flavorful, 10–15 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Remove basil stems from pan; stir in ¼ cup basil leaves. Shake skillet to evenly distribute beans. Top with mozzarella and 2 Tbsp. Parmesan. Broil until cheese is melted and browned in spots, about 3 minutes.
Spoon tomato beans over toast as desired. Top with more basil leaves and Parmesan and drizzle with oil. Season generously with more pepper.
Photo By Emma Fishman, Food Styling By Rebecca Jurkevic, Recipe from Bon Appetit, Ali Slagle